Australian Visas


An ETA (Visitor) subclass 976 is designed for people who are outside Australia and want to visit Australia for holidays, tourism, recreation, and informal studies or training.

You can stay for up to three months on each visit within a 12 month period from the date of grant, or for the life of the passport if it is less than 12 months (multiple entry).

An ETA is an electronically stored authority for travel to Australia. ETA information is accessible by airlines, travel agents and Australian border agencies. You do not need to visit a departmental office to submit an application and you will not receive a stamp or label in your passport. However, you will be provided with a confirmation for your records.

Passport details

Your ETA is linked to the passport number you used in your application and you must use the same passport to travel to Australia.

If you obtain a new passport and are outside Australia, you must obtain a new ETA, or another type of visa, before travelling to Australia, otherwise you will experience significant delays at the airport and could be denied permission to board your plane.

If you obtain a new passport and are in Australia, you do not need to make an application for another visa so long as the ETA is still valid.

If you leave Australia within the validity of your ETA you may travel on your new passport, however keep your old passport with you as your ETA is attached to that passport. If you do not intend to leave Australia within the validity of your ETA you will need to obtain another type of visa. Please contact the nearest office of the department to discuss your options.

If you leave Australia on your ETA, you will not be able to re-enter until you have obtained a new ETA, or another type of visa, on your new passport.

Bringing family

A separate ETA is required for each family member travelling with you to Australia, including those who are under 18 and are included on your passport.

Extending your stay

An ETA cannot be granted while the holder is in Australia. ETA(s) cannot be extended.

If you intend to extend your stay after arriving in Australia, you should allow at least two weeks before your ETA expires to apply for a different type of visa. A visa may be granted if you:

  • have complied with the conditions of your ETA
  • meet all the eligibility criteria for the grant of the visa for which you are applying.

You may be required to undergo a health examination.


  • If you are granted a different visa, it will cease your ETA and its entitlements.
  • If a decision has not been made on your application before your ETA expires, you will be able to remain lawfully in Australia until the visa application is finalised.

If your visa application is refused, and you have not appealed this decision, you must depart Australia before the expiry date of your authorised stay period.


To be eligible to apply for an ETA, you must:

  • be outside Australia
  • hold an ETA eligible passport
  • Eligible passports – ETA through a travel agent, airline, specialist service provider or an Australian visa office outside Australia
  • This is the list of eligible passports to apply for an ETA through a travel agent, airline, specialist service provider or an Australian visa office outside Australia.
Andorra Malaysia
Austria Malta
Belgium Monaco
Brunei The Netherlands
Canada Norway
Denmark Portugal
Finland Republic of San Marino
France Singapore
Germany South Korea
Greece Spain
Hong Kong (SAR)* Sweden
Iceland Switzerland
Ireland Taiwan**
Italy United Kingdom – British Citizen
Japan United Kingdom – British National (Overseas)
Liechtenstein United States of America
Luxembourg Vatican City

* A Hong Kong Document of Identity (HKDI) cannot be used to apply for an ETA. Residents of Hong Kong require a passport to apply for this visa.

** Holders of Taiwan passports can only be processed for an ETA if residing and applying in Taiwan. Applications can be lodged with an approved ETA Travel Agent in Taiwan or Australian Visa Services office in Taipei.

Eligible passports – apply for an ETA online

This is the list of eligible passports to apply for an ETA online.

Hong Kong (SAR)
South Korea
United States of America
European passport holders who are eligible to apply for an ETA through a travel agent, airline or specialist service provider should apply for an eVisitor if applying online.


You must only intend to visit Australia temporarily for tourism purposes and you must not work.

ETA (Visitor) conditions

You must comply with your ETA conditions while in Australia. A breach of these conditions may result in your ETA being cancelled and you may have to leave Australia.

  • You must not work whilst in Australia. Limited volunteer work may be acceptable
  • You must not engage in any studies or training for more than three months.
  • If you are at least 11 years of age and you intend to study in a class-room environment for a period greater than 4 weeks, you may be required to pass a chest x-ray examination before commencing your studies.
  • You must be free from tuberculosis at the time of travel to, and entry into, Australia.
  • You must not have any criminal convictions, for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) are for a total period of 12 months duration or more, at the time of travel to, and entry into, Australia.

Criminal convictions

If you have had any criminal convictions in any country, you may wish to consider applying for a Tourist visa (subclass 676), rather than an ETA. If arriving on an ETA with criminal convictions, you could be refused entry into Australia.

Repeat visits

An ETA is not designed to allow repeated extended stays in Australia. If you wish to spend long periods in Australia for tourism purposes, you may wish to consider applying for Tourist visa (subclass 676) or an alternate visa that suits your purposes.

Health insurance

It is recommended that you take out health insurance for yourself and your family members each time you travel to Australia. You will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme, unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Reciprocal medical arrangements exist with some countries.

Tourist visa (subclass 676), ETA (Visitor) (subclass 976) and eVisitor (subclass 651)

Charge Type Charge Amount

ETA (Visitor) (subclass 976) Note: A service charge of $20.00 applies


eVisitor (subclass 651)


e676 Tourist – Nationals of EU Member States for stays up to three months


Tourist visa (subclass 676)


Tourist – Foreign Government Representative


Leave a Reply


Australia Job Search

Main Menu

Site Search

Migration Visa Additional Requirements

Important Information about Receiving Immigration Assistance © immi.gov.au


In Australia, only people registered as migration agents can give immigration assistance to people who want to enter or stay in Australia.

It is a criminal offence for an unregistered person to provide immigration assistance or to advertise migration services. Penalties include fines and imprisonment.

If you choose to use the services of a migration agent make sure they are registered by visiting www.mara.com.au or phoning 1300 22 62 72.

What are the dangers of using an unregistered person?

Unregistered people could:

  • be unaware of current legislation and procedures
  • provide incorrect advice
  • take advantage of clients
  • make false claims regarding your chance of success
  • be breaking the law by providing immigration assistance.

What are the benefits of using a registered migration agent?

Registered migration agents are required to:

  • have a sound knowledge of migration law and practice
  • abide by a Code of Conduct
  • have appropriate insurance
  • pass character tests—including criminal history checks
  • be assessed before providing immigration assistance.

Reporting unregistered people

If you make a report about an unregistered person, this will not affect your visa application in any way. Any information will be treated in confidence.

You can make a report by phoning the department free of charge on 1800 009 623

Australian Immigration Visas
Level 5 Toowong Towers
9 Sherwood Road
Toowong, Brisbane, Queensland
Phone/Text +61(0)413124717
Email Immigration@AusVisa.info
Customer Rating :9 / 10
Based on
24 ratings

IRMAP - Information on the Regulation of the Migration Advice ProfessionIRMAP - Information on the Regulation of the Migration Advice Profession

Migration Agents Code of ConductMigration Agents Code of Conduct

Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS 2.1 Click here for the RSS feed from Australian Immigration Visas RSS feed from Australian Immigration Visas

© Copyright 2008-2017 Australian Immigration Visas. All rights reserved.