Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa

Introducing the temporary sponsored parent visa: Frequently asked questions (c) border.gov.au

This information relates directly to the temporary sponsored parent visa, in response to the Assistant Minister’s announcement on Friday 5  May 2017.

The new visa will allow Australians to sponsor their parents to stay in Australia for up to five years at a time.

This new visa arrangement does not replace the existing Parent category visas.

The new visa provides an important cultural link for children of Australian migrants, while recognising the social benefits afforded through parent reunification, such as assistance with minding of grandchildren.

Additionally, this visa seeks to address long-standing community concerns about wait times under existing parent visa arrangements.

Who is eligible to apply for a temporary sponsored parent visa?

This new visa arrangement is for parents (biological or adoptive) and step-parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand Citizens.

A step-parent can only apply if they are still in a married/de facto relationship with a biological parent of the sponsoring Australian child.

Only one set of parents per household (that is maximum two people) can be sponsored for this visa at a time.

What requirements must a parent meet to be granted a temporary sponsored parent visa?

The Balance of Family test does not apply to this new visa.

To be granted a temporary sponsored parent visa, a person must satisfy a number of requirements, including:

  • having their Australian child approved as a sponsor
  • meet identity, health and character requirements
  • not having an outstanding public health debt in Australia.

They will also be required to hold, and maintain, health insurance, from an Australian provider, valid for their intended period of stay in Australia.

How can I apply for this visa?

Implementation of this new arrangement is subject to passage of the Migration Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill 2016 through Parliament.

The Bill is currently before the Senate and, if it passes in the Winter sittings, the new visa will be introduced in late 2017.

How will the temporary sponsored parent visa differ from existing parent visa arrangements?

Under this new visa arrangement:

  • the sponsorship and visa applications will be assessed separately
  • a person must be approved as a sponsor before a visa application can be made
  • prospective sponsors and visa applicants will be subject to a number of assessable criteria which must be met before an application can be approved, or granted.

Further information will be published when it becomes available.

What fees and charges will be applicable to this new visa? What will the ‘bond’ be set at?

The visa application charge for:

  • a five year visa will be AUD10,000
  • a three year visa will be AUD5,000.

There will be no financial bond for this visa.

How long will a temporary sponsored parent visa be valid for, and how many times will I be able to apply?

Once granted, the visa will be valid for either three or five years.

You can apply for, and be granted, this visa more than once but the maximum stay is 10 years in total.

Will there be an English language requirement?

No. There is no English language requirement.

Will holders of this visa be able to work, or study?

A parent(s) cannot work on this visa. They may, however, assist with family childcare or undertake incidental, unpaid volunteer activities.

Yes. They will be able to undertake short term, informal study on this visa. If they wish to study a formal full-time course, they will need to apply for a Student Visa.

I want to sponsor my parents. How do I make a sponsorship application?

Applications for this new visa will be available online, through ImmiAccount. There will be no paper applications supporting this new visa.

Details on how to apply for this visa will be available on our website closer to the commencement of this visa.

What requirements must a sponsor meet?

A sponsor for a temporary sponsored parent visa must meet requirements specified in Migration Regulations in order for their sponsorship to be approved. These will include that the sponsor must:

  • be a biological, adoptive, or a step-child of their parent
  • provide valid evidence of their identity
  • be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be 18 years or older
  • have lived in Australia for at least four years
  • meet a household income requirement
  • meet character requirements
  • accept legal liability for any outstanding public health debt their sponsored parent accrues.

Sponsors must also agree to undertake certain obligations in relation to those they are sponsoring.

When will the details of these requirements be available?

More information about sponsorship requirements and how to apply will be made available on our website closer to the commencement of this visa.

Will temporary residents be able to sponsor their parents?

No. Sponsorship eligibility will be limited to Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens.

Australia Job Search

Main Menu

Site Search

Migration Visa Additional Requirements

Important Information about Receiving Immigration Assistance © immi.gov.au


In Australia, only people registered as migration agents can give immigration assistance to people who want to enter or stay in Australia.

It is a criminal offence for an unregistered person to provide immigration assistance or to advertise migration services. Penalties include fines and imprisonment.

If you choose to use the services of a migration agent make sure they are registered by visiting www.mara.com.au or phoning 1300 22 62 72.

What are the dangers of using an unregistered person?

Unregistered people could:

  • be unaware of current legislation and procedures
  • provide incorrect advice
  • take advantage of clients
  • make false claims regarding your chance of success
  • be breaking the law by providing immigration assistance.

What are the benefits of using a registered migration agent?

Registered migration agents are required to:

  • have a sound knowledge of migration law and practice
  • abide by a Code of Conduct
  • have appropriate insurance
  • pass character tests—including criminal history checks
  • be assessed before providing immigration assistance.

Reporting unregistered people

If you make a report about an unregistered person, this will not affect your visa application in any way. Any information will be treated in confidence.

You can make a report by phoning the department free of charge on 1800 009 623

Australian Immigration Visas
Level 5 Toowong Towers
9 Sherwood Road
Toowong, Brisbane, Queensland
Phone/Text +61(0)413124717
Email Immigration@AusVisa.info
Customer Rating :9 / 10
Based on
24 ratings

IRMAP - Information on the Regulation of the Migration Advice ProfessionIRMAP - Information on the Regulation of the Migration Advice Profession

Migration Agents Code of ConductMigration Agents Code of Conduct

Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS 2.1 Click here for the RSS feed from Australian Immigration Visas RSS feed from Australian Immigration Visas

© Copyright 2008-2017 Australian Immigration Visas. All rights reserved.