Work Visa Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

@ Offshore Australia / If you are outside Australia

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have good English language skills and have skills and qualifications in an occupation in need in Australia. This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market. You do not require sponsorship to apply for this visa.

This visa is for you if you:

  • are under 45 years of age
  • have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

The SOL is a list of skilled occupations that are in need in Australia. Each occupation listed on the SOL is allocated a points value for use in the visa assessment process. This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

  • live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • study in Australia at school or university
  • receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • sponsor people for permanent residence

This is a permanent residence visa. As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia.

This visa has a points test designed to select visa applicants who have characteristics that will help them find a full time job in an occupation that matches their skills and is required in Australia. There are no conditions placed on this visa.

If you are granted this visa you are able to live and work in any part of Australia and engage in any type of employment. You and any accompanying secondary applicants must however comply with Australian laws. Failure to do so may affect your ability to remain in Australia.

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

Charge Type Charge Amount

1st instalment


2nd instalment


Important: Fees may be subject to adjustment at any time. Visa Application Charges may be subject to adjustment on 1 July each year. This may increase the cost of a visa.

The 1st instalment of the Visa Application Charge must be paid at the time of application.

The 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge for dependents aged 18 years or over with less than functional English must be paid before the visa is granted.


  1. Kiran   |  Monday, 06 October 2014 at 2:00 pm

    Hi there, i have a valid sub class 175 visa, i am currently outside working, i would like to extend my PR which expires next year in Jan 2015.
    What procedure do i need to follow to have my PR extended.

    regards, Kiran

  2. MVK   |  Thursday, 13 November 2014 at 10:17 am

    How to extend my visa under subclass 175, Rt now iam working outside Australia. Heard of a process called RRV but do not know if we wud be granted it or not, and what if the visa expires before RRV is granted…

  3. Rajen Pillay   |  Tuesday, 30 June 2015 at 2:36 pm

    Dear Sir/ Mam

    I have a VISA subclass 175 which expires in March 2016. I have been outside Australia – is there any way that I can extend this Visa.

    Thank you

    Rajen Pillay

  4. Mutasem Eleiwat   |  Tuesday, 01 September 2015 at 1:46 pm

    I have PR 175 visa valid till may 2017. I went in and out Australia 3 times in the last 3 years. last was Jan 2015. is there a rule that if I do not enter Asutralia for 12 months that I lose my Visa?


  5. Australian Immigration Visas   |  Tuesday, 01 September 2015 at 9:12 pm

    What this visa lets you do

    This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:
    •stay in Australia indefinitely
    •work and study in Australia
    •enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
    •apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
    •sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
    •travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

  6. karamat masih   |  Saturday, 05 September 2015 at 5:57 am

    i intend to migrate in australia what is required

  7. Australian Immigration Visas   |  Tuesday, 08 September 2015 at 1:59 am

    You may need to determine what Visa to apply for and whether you are Eligible.

  8. sera   |  Thursday, 10 December 2015 at 12:20 am

    I would like to have more information about subclass 189 in order to,apply offshore this includes skill Independent visa

  9. Herman   |  Sunday, 06 March 2016 at 11:28 pm

    I have an approved visa 175 and want to know if my wife as the secondary applicant can travel to Australia and start working before the applicant.

  10. Dharmendra prasad   |  Thursday, 28 July 2016 at 9:03 pm

    Dear sir iam from fiji and would like to apply for visa class 175

  11. Jayshree   |  Tuesday, 06 December 2016 at 8:02 pm

    Hi. I have been invited to apply subclass 189 but when I access my ImmiAccount , I cannot find any subclass 189 under New application. Please assist.


Leave a Reply


Australia Job Search

Main Menu

Site Search

Migration Visa Additional Requirements

Important Information about Receiving Immigration Assistance ©


In Australia, only people registered as migration agents can give immigration assistance to people who want to enter or stay in Australia.

It is a criminal offence for an unregistered person to provide immigration assistance or to advertise migration services. Penalties include fines and imprisonment.

If you choose to use the services of a migration agent make sure they are registered by visiting or phoning 1300 22 62 72.

What are the dangers of using an unregistered person?

Unregistered people could:

  • be unaware of current legislation and procedures
  • provide incorrect advice
  • take advantage of clients
  • make false claims regarding your chance of success
  • be breaking the law by providing immigration assistance.

What are the benefits of using a registered migration agent?

Registered migration agents are required to:

  • have a sound knowledge of migration law and practice
  • abide by a Code of Conduct
  • have appropriate insurance
  • pass character tests—including criminal history checks
  • be assessed before providing immigration assistance.

Reporting unregistered people

If you make a report about an unregistered person, this will not affect your visa application in any way. Any information will be treated in confidence.

You can make a report by phoning the department free of charge on 1800 009 623

Australian Immigration Visas
Level 5 Toowong Towers
9 Sherwood Road
Toowong, Brisbane, Queensland
Phone/Text +61(0)413124717
Customer Rating :9 / 10
Based on
24 ratings

IRMAP - Information on the Regulation of the Migration Advice ProfessionIRMAP - Information on the Regulation of the Migration Advice Profession

Migration Agents Code of ConductMigration Agents Code of Conduct

Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS 2.1 Click here for the RSS feed from Australian Immigration Visas RSS feed from Australian Immigration Visas

© Copyright 2008-2017 Australian Immigration Visas. All rights reserved.