Australia – Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with an eligible qualification. This stream is only available to students who applied for and were granted their first Student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years, depending on the qualification.

You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you and your family to stay in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. While in Australia, you may:

Post-Study Work stream

This visa lasts for two to four years, depending on the highest qualification you used to apply for this visa:
-bachelors degree, honours degree, masters by coursework degree or masters (extended) degree – your visa is valid for two years
-masters degree by research – your visa is valid for three years
-doctoral degree – your visa is valid for four years.

DIAC VAC Visa Application Charge – AUD$1440 for Primary Applicant. Additional Applicant Charge
18 and over AUD$720, Additional Applicant Charge under 18 AUD$130.


In the past six months you must have completed one or more of the following qualifications at an Australian educational institution:
-bachelor degree
-bachelor degree with honours
-masters by coursework degree
-masters (extended) degree
-masters by research degree
-doctoral degree.

When is your course completed?

Qualifications are considered to have been completed when your educational institution publicly notifies you that you have met the requirements for the award of the qualification, for example, in a completion letter. Submission of a thesis, or completion of exams, is not sufficient.

This date should not be confused with the date of conferral of your award. The date of conferral is the date that you actually receive your degree, diploma or trade qualification, for example, at a graduation ceremony.

Australian study requirement

In the six months before you apply, you must meet the Australian study requirement. This means that you must have completed one or more courses registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Your course must:
-result in the award of a bachelors, masters or doctoral degree
-be conducted in English
-be at least two academic years (92 weeks) duration
-be lawfully completed in no less than 16 months
-be completed at an Australian educational institution in Australia.

English language proficiency courses or enabling programs cannot be used to meet the Australian study requirement.

If you complete a graduate diploma or graduate certificate in a packaged, nested or articulating course leading to an eligible qualification, you can use that study towards meeting the two-year study requirement. For example, you can count a Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies leading to a Master of Education.

You can only use study that leads to an eligible qualification. If you complete a degree and then take a graduate diploma or graduate certificate course, the diploma or certificate course cannot be used to meet the two-year study requirement.

How does the duration of your course count towards this requirement?

You can use CRICOS to find the registered duration of a course. The department will use the same information. A course that is listed on CRICOS as having a 92-week duration is considered to meet the requirement of two academic years.

The department will credit you only with the duration that is listed on CRICOS, even if you take longer to complete your course. Failed subjects and parts of courses taken outside Australia do not count.

If your educational institution awards you credit towards a qualification on the basis of prior learning, that credit may count towards meeting the two-year requirement, but only if the prior learning was in Australia, was in a CRICOS-registered course, and is used only once to meet the Australian study requirement for a visa.

If you take overlapping courses for separate qualifications (for example, a Masters in Finance and a Masters in Accounting), the period of overlap can only be counted once towards the two-year requirement.
You cannot count any studies outside Australia towards the Australian study requirement. The only courses you can count towards the Australian study requirement are those that are completed in Australia.

For further information email


  1. Mary Hla   |  Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 1:44 pm

    If I study a master of one year and I return to my country for a year or two, and then I come back again to Aussie for another one year course, do I still fulfill the 2 year study duration requirement of visa 485?

  2. Uday   |  Friday, 28 November 2014 at 7:18 am

    Dear Sir,

    I have confusion regarding courses offered in Regional Australia. To qualify for subclass485 and subclass489 need to complete 2 year in regional australia but the course offered are of one year only. For example if I want to do bakery course but as it is of one year only so to complete can I do another for example certificate IIl in retail baking + certificate III in Commercial Cooking and I want to apply for sc485 for baker skill than I will be eligible for this visa or not

  3. Irfan   |  Friday, 15 April 2016 at 10:14 am

    Hi i started my masters in commerce (registered on CRICOS for 104 weeks) on 17th november 2014 which was a summer intake, due to my medical conditions that i was to face in the future i opted to study another summer intake and finish the course soon, for some reason the university has sent a letter of completion for 15months 24 days. Now will i be eligble to apply for a 485 visa? Your comments would higly be appriciated.

  4. Aquiles Bezerra Almeida   |  Friday, 28 July 2017 at 6:16 pm

    I complete a Certificate II of customer contract, Certificate III of Business, Certificate IV in international trade and Diploma of International Business. Each course was 24 weeks in the same school.
    Is it eligible and Could I apply to get 5 points?

Leave a Reply